Worthy of Question

It wasn't exactly out of the blue. After all, I had received several warnings against "teaching evolution" in the past, and even had multiple threads deleted. Each time I engaged in a private discussion with the moderator involved, but my questions about what specific rules I had broken seemed to always go unanswered. It didn't seem to matter that nothing I was being reprimanded for didn't appear in the forums TOS, all that mattered, apparently, was that I was explaining the scientific concepts involved in this issue (You can view the articles involved in that first incident here: Itinerant Lurker's Evolutionary Apocalypse of Awesome).

Then, some months later, I was discussing how the lack of a genetic bottleneck 4,350 years ago seems like a problem for a global flood which reduced all animal populations down to almost zero. As there were a lot of people who didn't quite grasp the significance of genetic bottlenecks I decided to provide some background information.

I took pains to explain that this had nothing at all to do with the ToE - I wasn't looking at common ancestry, I was looking at human migration over the last 50,000 years. Yet sure enough, this thread too was deleted because I was supposedly "teaching evolution".

When I asked moderators to point out where in my posts I had talked at all about the ToE I was ignored, the only responses I received seemed to be geared toward equating the ToE with leading Christians astray and taking umbrage at the fact that I back up many of my posts here. (You can view the painfully confused aftermath of this here (click to enlarge).)

The final email I received pretty much sums it up.

My as-of-yet unanswered reply:




It is an essentially inevitable result of these discussions that the hyperorthodox eventually come to recognize that the weight of evidence contradicting their views is so great that they must either ignore the evidence or reject reality as reliable. Unfortunately for me, part of ignoring evidence involves ignoring those who try to explain it.



Lurker

No comments:

Post a Comment